Registration of birth in the Population Register System

Births of Finnish citizens outside Finland must be notified to the Local Register Office. You can also submit the notification at a Finnish embassy or send it there to be posted to the Local Register Office for registration.

Birth certificates issued by an EU country are accepted without requiring that a so-called apostille be attached to the document.

In other countries the original birth certificate or a copy of it, authenticated at a mission of Finland, must be appended to the notification. The document must be legalised and, if it has been issued in some other language than Finnish, Swedish or English, an authorised translation in one of these languages must be provided. Translations made abroad must be legalised. Translations made by an authorised translator in Finland are valid as such.

An Apostille stamp is not required for a birth certificate, which is issued by an EU country authority and a translation of the certificate is not needed if a multilingual standard form is appended to the document.

Please download the PDF form that you will have to complete and submit at the Population Register: notification of a finnish citizen born outside finland.

Child birth in the United States

The certified birth certificate issued by the County Clerk must be legalized with an Apostille certificate. You will find instructions for obtaining the Apostille certificate by following this link. Please note that the U.S. Federal legalization agencies cannot grant Apostille Certification for birth certificates issued by the Health Department.

A child born outside marriage having a Finnish mother

If the child is born out outside marriage, the child’s paternity must be first confirmed, and only after that it can be added in the Finnish Population Register, i.e. the child’s father can be registered in Finland.

A paternity confirmation can be, for instance, a ruling issued by a court or another state authority, as well as a confirmation or registration of a legal action. A U.S. birth certificate cannot be considered a valid paternity confirmation.

The U.S. paternity decision must be legalized with an Apostille certificate and must be attached to the birth registration. You will find instructions for obtaining the Apostille certificate by following this link. The authority in charge of issuing paternity decisions varies by state.