Registration of Divorce in the Population Information System

If you are a Finnish citizen and you are granted a divorce abroad, you must notify the dissolution of marriage to the Finnish Population System.

In principle, all divorces granted in a foreign state are recognised without a separate confirmation in Finland. If necessary, the Helsinki Court of Appeal can by application confirm whether a divorce granted in a foreign state is recognised in Finland. 

Divorces in EU

Divorces granted in the EU area after 1 March 2001 are recognised as such in Finland provided that they are accompanied by a certificate issued in accordance with the EU provisions. The certificate can be obtained from the authority that has granted the divorce.

Divorce in other countries

As regards other divorce judgments, the original document or a certified copy, given in the country where the original was issued, must be presented and the divorce judgment must have been duly legalised. The judgment must be translated into Finnish, Swedish or English. Translations that have been made abroad must also be legalised. Documents translated by an authorised translator in Finland are acceptable without a separate authentication.

Where do I send the document?

Divorce judgments can be left with a Finnish mission, from where the document will be delivered or sent to the Digital and Population Data Agency, Pietarsaari Unit (PO Box 26, 68601 Pietarsaari) or to the Register Office of the sender’s most recent municipality of residence in Finland.

Getting divorced in the United States

The divorce decision granted in the U.S. or its notarial copy must be certified with Apostille. You can find instructions for obtaining the Apostille certificate by following this link.

Transfer of the population data notification through the Finnish Mission to the Digital and Population Data Service Agency is subject to service fee. When mailing in the registration please attach a money order or certified check addressed to the Embassy of Finland in Washington DC,  Consulate General of Finland in New York or Consulate General of Finland in Los Angeles.

In order to return the documents, please provide a prepaid, self-addressed envelope of FedEx/DHL/UPS/USPS.