The Ministry for Foreign Affairs aims to ensure that the Finland abroad online service meets the requirements for accessibility as laid down in the Act on the Provision of Digital Services (306/2019).
This accessibility statement concerns the Finland abroad website, which consists of approximately 200 country-specific websites.
Fulfilment of requirements
The websites in the Finland abroad online service partly meet the requirements of the Act on the Provision of Digital Services (306/2019) (in Finnish). Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations is mentioned below under Non-accessible content.
The following content and/or functions do not yet meet the accessibility requirements:
- There are shortcomings and inconsistencies in the use of headings in both HTML and the headings displayed on the site. These issues will be fixed as quickly as possible.
- Individual errors in the marking of links and link purposes will be fixed.
- The text on the site does not fully meet the contrast requirements. A sufficient contrast ratio will be ensured as soon as possible.
- There are problems when using a screen reader on the front page of the Finland abroad online service; the country selection function is not operable through a keyboard interface.
- There are some shortcomings in the site’s structural labels, for example in the menus. We will ensure that the page elements are programmatically determinable.
- There are problems with the table column headers that make it difficult to use a screen reader.
- The Finnish and Swedish pages of the service contain foreign-language names and terms that have not been identified. Language attributes will be added as the pages are updated. At the same time, incorrect language versions, such as showing Finnish content in a local language, will be corrected. However, some content is deliberately displayed in English in other language versions as well, because the content is only updated in English.
- The search function does not work properly. The accessibility issues will be fixed as other repairs are made.
- It is not possible to operate the site using a keyboard alone, since the keyboard focus indicator is not visible. This issue will be fixed as quickly as possible.
- There are shortcomings in the text alternatives of icons that guide navigation and the text alternatives of images and infographics used on the site. The icon issues will be fixed as part of technical updates and the shortcomings in permanent content will be fixed as content is updated.
- There are issues as regards the focus order of internal links within a single page when using a screen reader or a keyboard only.
- The problems with resizing text, text spacing and scaling content will be fixed.
- The PDF attachments do not fully meet the accessibility requirements. These issues will be fixed during 2020. Problems with old content will be fixed as content is updated.
- There are problems when navigating the site on mobile devices using a screen reader, for example as regards focus order and use of menus. These issues will be fixed as quickly as possible, because more and more people use the service on a mobile device.
Content not covered by the applicable legislation
Map contents, such as those showing the map location of a mission, are not accessible. The same information is also available in text form. The legislation does not apply to maps (Act on the Provision of Digital Services (306/2019), in Finnish).
About this accessibility statement
This accessibility statement was prepared on 17 September 2019 and updated 24 September 2019.
It was compiled based on an expert analysis carried out by Eficode in August-September 2019 at the request of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs. The identified shortcomings and issues have been fixed or will be fixed without delay as described above.
Feedback and contacts
Have you noticed any accessibility concerns? Let us know and we will try to fix the problem as soon as possible!
Get in touch by email or phone.
- Email: [email protected] (Unit for Communications on Current Affairs)
- Telephone: Government switchboard: +358 295 16001, ask to be connected to the web editor-in-chief (Unit for Communications on Current Affairs, Ministry for Foreign Affairs) or the head of web communications (Communications Development Team, Ministry for Foreign Affairs)
The editor-in-chief and the head of web communications at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs are responsible for the accessibility of the Finland abroad online service. The contact information of the Department for Communications is available on the website of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
If you notice any accessibility issues on the site, first send feedback to the site administrator. Please note that it may take up to 14 days for a reply to be forwarded to you. If you are not satisfied with the reply, or if you do not receive any response within two weeks, please give feedback to the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland. See the Agency’s website saavutettavuusvaatimukset.fi (available in Finnish and Swedish) for a description of how the complaint can be filed and how the matter will be handled.
Contact information of supervisory authority
Saavutettavuuden valvonnan yksikkö (supervisory unit for accessibility)