Citizenship for a child

A child is a Finnish citizen if, at the time when the child was born

  • the mother was a Finnish citizen 
  • the father was a Finnish citizen, the mother was a foreign national and the parents were married

A child born outside marriage

If a child was born outside marriage and only the father was a Finnish citizen when the child was born, a declaration of acknowledgement of paternity is required. An application to obtain a Finnish citizenship for the child can be filed after that by means of declaration.

Please remember to register the birth of a Finnish citizen at the Local Register Office

Citizenship on application or declaration

The Finnish Immigration Service can grant Finnish citizenship on declaration or on application.  If you reside abroad, you can submit a citizenship application for a child or adopted child, a declaration on recovery of citizenship, or an application for release from citizenship at a Finnish mission or honorary consulate.

The declaration or application must always be submitted in person. The Finnish Immigration Service can start processing the matter only after you have paid the processing fee.

You can find more detailed information about citizenship matters, legislation, processing fees and forms on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service.

Loss of Finnish citizenship at the age of 22

You will automatically lose your Finnish citizenship when you turn 22 years of age if you are a citizen of another state and you have not had a sufficient connection to Finland. The Finnish Immigration Service will notify you of the risk of losing your citizenship.

You can find more detailed information on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service.

Multiple nationality

If you have multiple nationality, you must find out yourself what rights and obligations you have in your other home country. Missions of Finland abroad can serve only in matters concerning Finnish citizenship.

If you have multiple nationality and you are staying in your other home country, you are treated in accordance with the local laws in the same way as persons who are citizens of that country. In such situations, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland normally has rather limited opportunities to provide consular assistance.

Registering U.S. citizenship in Finland

The Act on the Population Information System (661/2009) obliges Finnish citizens to keep their population information up to date and to report any changes in their civil data. You can register your U.S. citizenship directly with the Digital and Population Data Services Agency service location or through the Finnish Consulate/Embassy. Registration can be done in two ways:

1) You can send the original decision of your nationality, which is duly legalized in the issuing country, or a legalized certified copy to the Local Register Office.

2) The missions can notarize a copy of your original US Naturalization Document and original US passport. For this, you need to either book an appointment, or mail the original documents to the mission. If you mail the original documents to the mission, kindly provide a prepaid, self-addressed return envelope of FedEx/DHL/UPS.

Further instructions on the Digital and Population Data Services Agency website.

 Obtaining a certified true copy:

  • Book an appointment with the nearest U.S. immigration authority (Homeland Security).
  • Request a Certified True Copy of the U.S. Naturalization Document by presenting the original. Note: Notarized copy is not the same as a certified true copy.

 Obtaining an Apostille:

  • US Department of State, US Department of State Legalization Office in Washington, DC  grants an Apostille certificate for the official copy of the Nationalization Decision. The mailing of the documents happens at the customer’s own risk.
  • Fill out the DS-4194 form that can be found on our website.
  • Send the certified true copy of the Naturalization Document and the payment to the US State Department in Washington DC. The address information and the price list are available on our website.

Send the document with the Apostille certificate either to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency service location or to the Finnish Consulate/Embassy abroad.

More information on U.S. Citizenship:


Transfer of the population data notification through the Finnish Mission to the Digital and Population Data Service Agency is subject to service fee. When mailing in the registration please attach a money order or certified check addressed to the Embassy of Finland in Washington DC,  Consulate General of Finland in New York or Consulate General of Finland in Los Angeles.

In order to return the documents, please provide a prepaid, self-addressed envelope of FedEx/DHL/UPS/USPS.