Passport application by persons liable for military service

If you are liable for military service when you are applying for a passport, you must present an account that there are no impediments to its issuance, as referred to in the Passport Act.   If you do not present the account, the person handling the matter at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs will ask the information from the Finnish authorities before the passport is issued.

Proof of no impediment can be presented by means of:

  • a military passport
  • a call-up certificate or some other similar decision given to a person exempted from service in peacetime
  • a call-up certificate given to a person exempted from military service entirely
  • a clearance certificate given by a military authority
  • non-military service certificate.


If you do not have the accessibility report, the mission will check with the relevant authorities the status of your national service obligation. If you have not completed your military or civilian service, your passport or ID card will be issued only until the end of the year in which you reach the age of 28.

Exemption of a dual citizen of Finland and the United States

If you are a dual citizen, you can be exempt from the compulsory military service. According to the agreement between Finland and the United States, a person holding a dual Finnish-American citizenship and living permanently in the United States is not liable for military service in Finland. You may, however, be ordered into service if you move to Finland before the end of the year in which you reach the age of 30. As a dual citizen, you must ensure that your dual citizenship is registered in the Finnish Population System and that your address information is up to date.

See Finlex(layout.types.url.description) (Opens New Window): “Obligation for citizens of other countries living abroad to participate in call-up and military service”, Section 75.

See Finlex(layout.types.url.description) (Opens New Window): "The Agreement between the Republic of Finland and the United States of America on exempting persons holding the dual citizenship from military obligations”.

If you hold a dual citizenship and live permanently in the United States and want to retain your Finnish citizenship, please see the instructions on retaining Finnish citizenship at the age of 22. (layout.types.url.description) (Opens New Window)