General conscription

If you are a male Finnish citizen and live abroad, you are subject to the conscription call-up starting from the beginning of the year in which you turn 18 years. You can handle your call-up obligation matters through the mission of Finland in your country of residence.


Four conscripts stand on a cliff with a view down to a lake
Photo: Finnish Defence Forces

In case you have multiple nationalities, you may be subject to conscription in accordance with your other home country legislation even if you had performed your military service in Finland. 

For those who have not performed military or non-military service, a passport is granted to no later than until the end of the year when they turn 28.

The Regional Offices of the Defence Forces help and serve persons subject to general conscription. If you reside abroad, your Regional Office is your municipality in the population register.

For additional information, please visit the Defence Forces website.

Exemption of a dual citizen of Finland and the United States

If you are a dual citizen, you can be exempted from the compulsory military service. According to the agreement between Finland and the United States, a person holding a dual Finnish-American citizenship, living permanently in the United States, is not liable to perform the compulsory military service in Finland. You may, however, be required to do military service if you move to Finland before the end of the year in which you reach the age of 30. As a dual citizen, you must ensure that your dual citizenship is listed in the Finnish population registry and that your address information is up to date.

See Finlex: “Obligation for citizens of other countries living abroad to participate in call-up and military service”, Article 75.

See Finlex: "The Agreement between the Republic of Finland and the United States of America on exempting persons holding the citizenship of both countries from military obligations”.