Applying for a passport or an identity card
- The application must be submitted at the embassy in person.
- Make sure that your details are up to date in the population information system. Finnish citizens can, if they wish, check their registered data in the population information system once a year. To correct and revise the data, please contact your nearest local register office.
- You have to pay the fee for a passport or an identity card when you submit the application.
- A passport and an identity card are valid for a maximum of 5 years.
- It takes from a minimum of two weeks to up to several weeks to get an ordinary passport. A fast-track passport can normally be obtained faster, but the time of delivery depends on the country of issuance. Fast-track service does not apply to identity cards.
Passports and identity cards are issued at Finland's embassies, consulates general and consulates led by a career consul. Finland's Honorary Consulates in Germany (Hamburg, Frankfurt am Main) and Spain (Barcelona, Malaga, Las Palmas, Palma de Mallorca, Pilar de la Horadada) can issue passports.
The missions may issue standard identity cards only, also for minors subject to the parents' or guardians' consent. The missions do not accept applications for special minor’s identity cards issued without the parents' of guardians' consent, identity cards for foreigners, or temporary identity cards.
Identity cards do not contain fingerprints.
Issuing agencies in the United States
Passports and ID cards are issued in the United States by the Finnish Embassy in Washington, as well as by the Consulates General in New York and Los Angeles. The Honorary Consulates in the U.S. and the Finnish Permanent Mission to the UN cannot accept passport applications.
When applying for a passport in the United States, the standard delivery time is 2-3 weeks. A fast-track passport is delivered 2-3 days faster than a regular passport. The delivery time for an ID card is approximately 6 weeks.
Mobile passport device
The Consulates General in Los Angeles and New York bring the passport devices to the locations listed below.
Passports and ID cards must be applied for in person and it is necessary to make an appointment. The Consulates General reserve the right to cancel/postpone the trip.
|January 27-29, 2020||Houston, TX||more information|
|February 24-28, 2020||Lake Worth, FL|
|March 16-17, 2020||Minneapolis, MN||more information later|
|March 18-19, 2020||Chicago, IL||more information later|