Applying for a passport or an identity card
- The application must be submitted at the embassy in person.
- Make sure that your details are up to date in the population information system. Finnish citizens can, if they wish, check their registered data in the population information system once a year. To correct and revise the data, please contact your nearest Digital and Population Data Agency(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window).
- You have to pay the fee for a passport or an identity card when you submit the application.
- A passport and an identity card are valid for a maximum of 5 years.
- It takes from a minimum of two weeks to up to several weeks to get an ordinary passport. A fast-track passport can normally be obtained faster, but the time of delivery depends on the country of issuance.
Passports and identity cards are issued at Finland's embassies, consulates general and consulates led by a career consul. Finland's Honorary Consulates in Germany (Hamburg, Frankfurt am Main) and Spain (Barcelona, Malaga, Las Palmas, Torrevieja) can issue passports.
An identity card is a document that you can use to prove your identity in different kinds of public services. It can also be used for travel to a limited extent, and it has a chip that allows you to security log into public services.
Finnish missions may grant standard and temporary identity cards. An identity card can be granted also to minors subject to parental consent.
Finnish missions do not accept applications for a minor’s identity card not requiring parental consent or for identity cards for foreigners.
Starting on 2 August 2021, the applicant’s fingerprints are stored in the identity card.
Issuing agencies in the United States
Passports and ID cards are issued in the United States by the Finnish Embassy in Washington, as well as by the Consulates General in New York and Los Angeles. The Honorary Consulates in the U.S. and the Finnish Permanent Mission to the UN cannot accept passport applications.
When applying for a passport in the United States, the standard delivery time is 2-3 weeks. A fast-track passport is delivered 2-3 days faster than a regular passport. The delivery time for an ID card is approximately 2-3 weeks.
Mobile passport device
The Consulates General in Los Angeles and New York bring the passport devices to the locations listed below.
Passports and ID cards must be applied for in person and it is necessary to make an appointment.
The Consulates General reserve the right to cancel/postpone the trip.
|4-6 October, 2023||Kenilworth (Chicago), IL|
|23 October, 2023||Sunnyvale, CA|
|24 October, 2023||Palo Alto, CA|
|6-9 November, 2023||Lakeworth, FL||more information|
|29 November - 1 December, 2023||Seattle, WA||book an appointment(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window)|
|2-3 February, 2024||Atlanta, GA||more information|