If you lose your passport abroad

If your passport is lost or stolen

  1. Immediately report the offence in the online service of the Finnish Police(Link to another website.) if you can. If you are unable to report the offence in the online service, you should report the lost or stolen passport at the local police station and deliver the report to the nearest Finland’s mission. Many countries have special tourist police officers who can receive your report.
  2. Ask for a copy of the report or the investigation document. You will need it later when you apply for a new passport or file an insurance claim, or if your lost passport is misused. The Finnish authorities do not file official reports of lost passports based on information provided over the phone.
  3. You can apply for a new passport at any Finnish mission abroad that issues passports. Check the nearest mission at the website finlandabroad.fi. If Finland does not have a diplomatic mission in the country where you are travelling, you can ask for assistance at a mission of another EU Member State(Link to another website.) to get an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) for your journey home.

What if your lost passport is found?

If your passport is found later, the local authorities usually deliver any found passports to the Finnish mission. The Finnish mission will send any found documents back to Finland, either to the issuing authority or to the police in the document holder’s municipality of residence.

Once a passport has been reported to the Finnish authorities as lost or stolen, you can no longer use it. 

Theft or loss of a valid passport must be reported to the police and a police report should be presented when applying for a new passport. The applicant must be able to prove their identity in another reliable way and provide a new passport photo. 

Temporary passport

Temporary passport can be issued to a person only in a valid emergency type situation e.g. if a passport has been lost or stolen, and if even the fast-track application procedures are not fast enough. The conditions for issuing a passport are always considered carefully and on a case-by-case basis. In general temporary passports are issued only accordingly with the necessary travel plan for instance returning back to the country of residence.

Please note that temporary passport is not a biometric passport and and not all countries would accept it for entry e.g. USA requires a visa for temporary passports.