Legalising documents in EU 

The Finnish authorities may ask you to legalise a foreign document. This should be done in the country where the document was issued.

If the country in question has signed the Hague Convention of 1961, the document can be legalised using an Apostille. For more information about Apostille certificates and the authorities that issue them, visit the Hague Conventions website.

Certain public documents in the European Union are accepted without an Apostille according to a EU Regulation.

The Regulation covers public documents issued by the authorities of EU Member States, the primary purpose of which is to establish birth, death, name, marriage, registered partnership, parenthood, adoption, residence or citizenship, for example. The Regulation also covers criminal record extracts issued for the purpose of attesting that a person does not have a criminal record. 

UK Apostille Certificate

If you need your certificates of registration issued by the British authorities to be legalised (‘Apostille Certificate’), you can do this at the Legalisation Office. Information on how to get your document legalised.

Note! From 16 February 2019, based on new EU Regulation, certain public documents issued by the authorities of EU countries must be accepted in other EU countries without requiring a so-called apostille to be attached to the document. Read more: Acceptance procedure for public documents is simplified in EU countries