Registration of change of address in the Population Information System

If you are a Finnish citizen and live outside Finland, you must notify the Local Register Office of change of your address.

It is important to keep address data up to date. Matters such as  military service are based on the address and nationality data in the Population Register System. You can be notified of your right to vote or the threat of losing your citizenship only if your address details are correct in the register.

Changes of address abroad can be notified either directly to a Local Register Office in Finland or to a Finnish mission.

Change of address in the UK

Finnish citizens living abroad permanently or temporarily have the duty to inform and update the local register centre in Finland of all amendments and changes regarding their personal details, including change of address in the UK.

You can inform of your change of address in the UK:

  • Electronically (in Finnish only) via this link: Change of address
  • By post either to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency  of West Finland (address: The Digital and Population Data Services Agency, Jakobstad Unit , PO Box 26, FI-68601 Jakobstad) or to the Consular Section of the Embassy of Finland in London. You can print the form via this link Change of address.
  • By e-mail, send your new address details directly to [email protected]. Remember to use your full name and date of birth (or Finnish identity number).