Registration of birth in the Population Register System

Births of Finnish citizens outside Finland must be notified to the Local Register Office. You can also submit the notification at a Finnish embassy or send it there to be posted to the Local Register Office for registration.

Birth certificates issued by an EU country are accepted without requiring that a so-called apostille be attached to the document.

In other countries the original birth certificate or a copy of it, authenticated at a mission of Finland, must be appended to the notification. The document must be legalised and, if it has been issued in some other language than Finnish, Swedish or English, an authorised translation in one of these languages must be provided. Translations made abroad must be legalised. Translations made by an authorised translator in Finland are valid as such.

An Apostille stamp is not required for a birth certificate, which is issued by an EU country authority and a translation of the certificate is not needed if a multilingual standard form is appended to the document.

Registration of a child born in Japan

Send the following documents to the Local Register Office in Finland. You can also send them to the Embassy, from where they will be forwarded to the Local Register Office.

  • notification of a Finnish citizen born outside Finland
  • copy of the mother's passport
  • copy of the father's passport
  • copy of the mother's, father's, and child's Japanese residence card (if applicable)
  • from the ward office, a koseki tohon (if one of the parents is Japanese) or  a juri shomeisho (if both parents are non-Japanese); the document needs to be legalized with an apostille​​
  • translation of the koseki tohon or juri shomeisho in Finnish, Swedish or English; also the translation must be legalized with an apostille ​​​