Applying for a passport or an identity card
- The application must be submitted at the embassy in person.
- Make sure that your details are up to date in the population information system(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window). Finnish citizens can, if they wish, check their registered data in the population information system once a year. To correct and revise the data, please contact your nearest Digital and Population Data Agency(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window).
- You have to pay the fee for a passport or an identity card when you submit the application.
- A passport and an identity card are valid for a maximum of 5 years.
- It takes from a minimum of two weeks to up to several weeks to get an ordinary passport. A fast-track passport can normally be obtained faster, but the time of delivery depends on the country of issuance. Fast-track service does not apply to identity cards.
Passports and identity cards are issued at Finland's embassies, consulates general and consulates led by a career consul. Finland's Honorary Consulates in Germany (Hamburg, Frankfurt am Main) and Spain (Barcelona, Malaga, Las Palmas, Palma de Mallorca, Pilar de la Horadada) can issue passports.
The missions may issue standard identity cards only, also for minors subject to the parents' or guardians' consent. The missions do not accept applications for special minor’s identity cards issued without the parents' of guardians' consent, identity cards for foreigners, or temporary identity cards.
Identity cards do not contain fingerprints.
Applying for a passport or an identity card in Hong Kong
In Hong Kong, the Consulate General of Finland in Hong Kong is the only place where you can apply for a passport or an identity card.
Customer service at the Consulate General requires a prior appointment. You can book an appointment either by email or by calling the Consulate. When abroad, a passport must always be applied in person. Also children must visit the Consulate in person with their guardian when applying.
It is the applicant's personal responsibility to check that their personal information is correct and updated in the Finnish Population Register Centre before visiting the Consulate. This means that the registration of birth, marriage, divorce, nationalities, name change or change of address has to be completed in Finland by a local register office (maistraatti) before a passport application can be submitted. If you need to check or correct you personal information, please contact directly the Local Register Offices.(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window)
Passport fees, process and collection
Passport fee is payable in Hong Kong dollars upon applying in cash only. Current fees are available here: Service Fees.
Normal processing time for a five year passport is approximately 2 weeks. The processing time for a fast-track passport is approximately 1 week.
The passport can be collected from the Consulate General of Finland in person or by a person authorized by the applicant. Collections within the Consulate’s office hours. The Consulate General of Finland in Hong Kong does not mail passports.