Registration of birth in the Population Register System

Births of Finnish citizens outside Finland must be notified to the Digital and Population Data Agency(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window). You can also submit the notification at a Finnish embassy or send it there to be posted to the Local Register Office for registration.

Birth certificates issued by an EU country are accepted without requiring that a so-called apostille(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window) be attached to the document.

In other countries the original birth certificate or a copy of it, authenticated at a mission of Finland, must be appended to the notification. The document must be legalised(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window) and, if it has been issued in some other language than Finnish, Swedish or English, an authorised translation in one of these languages must be provided. Translations made abroad must be legalised. Translations made by an authorised translator in Finland are valid as such.

An Apostille stamp is not required for a birth certificate, which is issued by an EU country authority and a translation of the certificate is not needed if a multilingual standard form is appended to the document.

​​​​Registration of birth in Denmark

A Finnish citizen born in Denmark must be registered to the Finnish population register by submitting the following documents:

  • A fully completed and signed registration form
     Notification of a Finnish citizen born outside Finland(Link to another website.).

  • The original full birth certificate issued by the Danish authorities (personattest(Link to another website.)/ Certificate of personal data). The certificate needs to be stamped and signed.
  • Photocopies of the parents’ passports
  • Certificate of the child’s possible second citizenship, which can be indicated by a passport of the other parent.
  • The child custody agreement (bekræftelse af afgivet omsorgs- og ansvarseklæring/Confirmation of statement of Care and Responsibility), if the parents were not married at the time the child was born.
    The certificate needs to be stamped and signed. Order from your parish.
  • Certificate of Personal Data (bopælsettest) from another parent. You can order a certificate either from the Borgerservice service point or from to another website.)
  • If the child was born in Sweden, look for the required documents from the website of the Finnish Embassy in Stockholm (

There is no need to translate Danish documents.
After registration is completed, you can apply for a Finnish passport for a child.

If a child was born outside marriage and only the father was a Finnish citizen when the child was born, a declaration of acknowledgement of paternity is required. 
More information: