Applying for a passport or an identity card
- The application must be submitted at the embassy in person.
- Make sure that your details are up to date in the population information system. Finnish citizens can, if they wish, check their registered data in the population information system once a year. To correct and revise the data, please contact your nearest Digital and Population Data Agency(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window).
- You have to pay the fee for a passport or an identity card when you submit the application.
- A passport and an identity card are valid for a maximum of 5 years.
- It takes from a minimum of two weeks to up to several weeks to get an ordinary passport. A fast-track passport can normally be obtained faster, but the time of delivery depends on the country of issuance.
Passports and identity cards are issued at Finland's embassies, consulates general and consulates led by a career consul. Finland's Honorary Consulates in Germany (Hamburg, Frankfurt am Main) and Spain (Barcelona, Malaga, Las Palmas, Torrevieja) can issue passports.
An identity card is a document that you can use to prove your identity in different kinds of public services. It can also be used for travel to a limited extent, and it has a chip that allows you to security log into public services.
Finnish missions may grant standard and temporary identity cards. An identity card can be granted also to minors subject to parental consent.
Finnish missions do not accept applications for a minor’s identity card not requiring parental consent or for identity cards for foreigners.
Starting on 2 August 2021, the applicant’s fingerprints are stored in the identity card.
Applying for a passport or an identity card in Denmark
In Denmark, you can apply for a passport or an identity card at the Embassy of Finland in Copenhagen (Sankt Annæ Plads 24, 1250 København K).
Customer service at the Consular Section requires a prior appointment online. You can book an appointment(Link to another website.) at a consulate for applying for a passport or for other services.
When abroad, a passport must be always applied in person at the Embassy. More information about passport and identity card fees (Opens New Window). When you are applying your passport, pay with a bank card (Visa/Mastercard/Maestro). You will also be charged a fee for a negative decision. Upon request, the passport can also be posted using a Postnord's registered letter provided by the applicant. The Embassy will charge the postal costs of the delivery fee in advance.
Required attachments to the application for a passport or an identity card:
- An old passport or an identity card
- 1 paper photo, taken within the past 6 months - photo instructions from the police(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window). The closest photo studio to the embassy is PhotoCare, Frederiksborggade 23, 1360 København K. Photobooths can be found here: https://www.pasfotos.dk/kobenhavn/(Link to another website.)
- If your passport is valid and your personal data in the Finnish Population Information System (e.g. name, nationality, address) has not changed, please bring along your Danish health card, i.e. sundhedskort.
- If your passport has expired and/or your personal data have changed, bring along an extract from the Danish population register (Bopælsattest, order from borger.dk or Borgerservice-point)
- if you live in Sweden, bring along an extract from the Swedish population register (Personbevis, order from Skatteverket or call to +46 771 567 567
- If your valid passport has been stolen or lost: a report of theft or lost to the local police
- Minors have the consent of both guardians. Guardians who are not present needs to submit their consent(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window) in writing
- Men aged 17 to 30: passport for a person liable for military service; civilian serviceman certificate or certificate of call-up. If these are not available, the authority issuing the passport or the identity card verifies the national defence liability from the relevant authorities.
If the applicant does not have identity documents approved by the authorities, the identity is established by means of an investigation.
Passport and identity card delivery
When travelling, you should check the validity of your passport well in advance. A passport can be issued with an extra fee for Rapid delivery if the order is placed on a day when the quota is not full.
Standard delivery time is 8–12 working days
Rapid delivery time is 3-4 working days
Temporary passport is issued while you wait, but only for particularly compelling reasons.
You will receive a notification by text message/email when you can pick up your passport/identity card. You can collect your passport/identity card from the embassy or authorise someone else to collect it on your behalf. When collecting a passport, you must prove your identity either by using a passport or an identity card issued by the Finnish authorities. From 1.1.2019, a driving licence will not be valid for proving identity when collecting a passport.
A passport or an identity card may also be sent to you as a registered letter via PostNord. The embassy does not take responsibility for PostNord’s activities, and the delivery is always done at the expense of the customer and the responsibility of the customer. If the delivery does not come within two weeks, please contact the embassy. The delivery fee to the address in Denmark is 96DKK and to Sweden 132DKK.
Payment of passport fees and other service fees
Passport and other service fees (Opens New Window) shall be paid on-site using a card or in advance to the embassy’s bank account:
Nordea Bank Danmark A/S
Vesterbrogade 8, 0900 København C
Proof of the advance payment to the embassy’s bank account must be provided when the passport application is submitted.