Required attachments to the application for a passport or an identity card

  • An old passport or an identity card issued by the Police for identification.
  • 1 black-and-white or colour photo, taken within the past 6 months. Preferably, the photo should be in colour, but black-and-white photos, too, are accepted for the time being.
  • Men aged 23 to 30: passport for a person liable for military service; civilian serviceman certificate or certificate of call-up. If these are not available, the authority issuing the passport or the identity card verifies the national defence liability from the relevant authorities. If the applicant has not performed military or civilian service, the passport is issued for no longer than until the end of the year when the applicant turns 28.
  • Persons with a permanent residence abroad may be required to present a separate certificate of nationality.

Learn about passport photo requirements(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window) on the website of the Police.

Other documents you might need in Canada

If you are a Finnish citizen living in Canada you need to present your Canadian Permanent Resident Card or a valid Canadian permit (e.g. work or study permit).

If you are have a dual citizenship you need to present your most recently obtained citizenship certificate and your Canadian passport. Applicants with dual/multiple citizenship from birth will have to prove that they have retained/will retain their Finnish citizenship after the age of 22.


Passport and identity card fees are paid when submitting the application. The payment should be made in Canadian dollars in the form of cash, a money order, or a certified cheque made out to the Embassy of Finland or Consulate of Finland if applying in Toronto or Vancouver. 

The new passport can be picked up from the Embassy of Finland or Finnish honorary consulate in Toronto or Vancouver by the applicant or a person authorized by the applicant. Otherwise, please provide a prepaid, self-addressed Expresspost or courier service envelope for forwarding the passport securely to you (e.g. Canada Post Xpress, Purolator, Fedex).