Registration of Marriage in the Population Information System

If you are a Finnish citizen and you get married abroad, you must notify the marriage to the Finnish Population System.

Ask the person conducting the marriage, what documents are needed when the ceremony is performed before a foreign public authority. A Finnish certificate of no impediment can be ordered in multiple languages from the Digital and Population Data Agency in your municipality of residence. Documents that are used abroad, must be legalised.

Some priests working among expatriate Finns, who are employed by Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland, have the right to conduct marriages abroad. For further information, visit the website.

You cannot get married at an embassy of Finland.

Notify the marriage to the Digital and Population Data Agency

When a Finnish citizen gets married outside Finland it must be notified to the Local Register Office. You can also leave the notification at a Finnish embassy or send it there to be posted to the Digital and Population Data Agency.

The original marriage certificate or a copy of it, authenticated at the mission of Finland, must be appended to the notification. The document must be legalised and if it has been issued in some other language than Finnish, Swedish or English, an authorised translation in one of these languages must be provided. Translations made abroad must be legalised. Translations made by an authorised translator in Finland are valid as such.

An Apostille stamp is not required for a marriage certificate, which is issued by an EU country authority and a translation of the certificate is not needed if a multilingual standard form is appended to the document.

Notification of marriage of a Finnish citizen outside Finland (pdf to be filled in on the screen)

In Canada, you can leave or send the notification to the Embassy in Ottawa or the Honorary Consulate in Toronto or Vancouver. 

In addition to the completed notification form, you need to attach the following documents:

  • Authenticated copy of marriage certificate issued by the appropriate provincial authority.
    More information: Global Affairs Canada - Authentication of documents
  • Copies of the passports of both spouses (the pages with personal information)
  • Copy of the Permanent Resident Card or the Canadian visa in the passport of the Finnish citizen/s or photocopy of the Finnish citizenship decision (in case of multiple nationality)

NOTE!  If both spouses are Finnish citizens, both have to fill out their own marriage notification form.