Citizenship for a child

A child is a Finnish citizen if, at the time when the child was born

  • the mother was a Finnish citizen 

  • the father was a Finnish citizen, the mother was a foreign national and the parents were married

A child born outside marriage

If a child was born outside marriage and only the father was a Finnish citizen when the child was born, a declaration of acknowledgement of paternity is required. An application to obtain a Finnish citizenship for the child can be filed after that by means of declaration.

Please remember to register the birth of a Finnish citizen at the Local Register Office(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window)

Citizenship on application or declaration

The Finnish Immigration Service can grant Finnish citizenship on declaration or on application. If you reside abroad, you can submit a citizenship application for a child or adopted child, a declaration on recovery of citizenship, or an application for release from citizenship at a Finnish mission or honorary consulate.

The declaration or application must always be submitted in person. The Finnish Immigration Service can start processing the matter only after you have paid the processing fee.

You can find more detailed information about citizenship matters, legislation, processing fees and forms on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window).

Loss of Finnish citizenship at the age of 22

You will automatically lose your Finnish citizenship when you turn 22 years of age if you are a citizen of another state and you have not had a sufficient connection to Finland. The Finnish Immigration Service will notify you of the risk of losing your citizenship. A fee based on the mission's fees for services is charged for forwarding a population information notification to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency.

You can find more detailed information on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window).

Multiple nationality

If you have multiple nationality, you must find out yourself what rights and obligations you have in your other home country. Missions of Finland abroad can serve only in matters concerning Finnish citizenship.

If you have multiple nationality and you are staying in your other home country, you are treated in accordance with the local laws in the same way as persons who are citizens of that country. In such situations, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland normally has rather limited opportunities to provide consular assistance.

Registration of Canadian Citizenship in Finland

Canadian citizenship must be entered into the Finnish population register. Registration is completed by submitting a notarized copy of the Canadian citizenship certificate indicating the date of becoming a Canadian citizen that has been authenticated by the Authentication division of Global Affairs Canada. Citizenship card with photo cannot be used for this purpose unless accompanied by the cover letter with naturalization date.

To complete authentication of citizenship certificate, the certified copy has be mailed to of Global Affairs Canada in Ottawa.  Details and address information:

Once in receipt of the authenticated document, it can be forwarded to the embassy or honorary Consulate in Toronto or Vancouver to complete the authentication process. Please include a photocopy of the i.d. page of your latest Finnish passport or a note with your contact information and Finnish identity code.

Transmission of population data notification through a Finnish Mission to the Digital and Population Data Service Agency is subject to service fee. 

Registrations of Canadian citizenship in connection with renewal of Finnish passport or identity card are exempt from the service fee.