Responsibilities of mission
The Embassy of Finland in Canberra is the official representative of Finland in Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga, Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands. As it is the only Finnish Embassy in the Southern Pacific region (Oceania) in practice the Embassy also represents Finland in its relations with other Pacific island states in the region (Nauru, Tuvalu as well as the Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau).
The main objectives of the Embassy are:
- To promote Finland's economic and political interests
- To support and facilitate Finnish business and economic contacts
- To assist Finnish citizens and residents in consular matters
- To inform the media and the public about Finland
- To support and facilitate cultural exchanges and events
The Embassy is assisted in its work by a network of Honorary Consuls in Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Vanuatu and Tonga.