Applying for a passport or an identity card
- The application must be submitted at the embassy in person.
- Make sure that your details are up to date in the population information system. Finnish citizens can, if they wish, check their registered data in the population information system once a year. To correct and revise the data, please contact your nearest Digital and Population Data Agency(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window).
- You have to pay the fee for a passport or an identity card when you submit the application.
- A passport and an identity card are valid for a maximum of 5 years.
- It takes from a minimum of two weeks to up to several weeks to get an ordinary passport. A fast-track passport can normally be obtained faster, but the time of delivery depends on the country of issuance. Fast-track service does not apply to identity cards.
Passports and identity cards are issued at Finland's embassies, consulates general and consulates led by a career consul. Finland's Honorary Consulates in Germany (Hamburg, Frankfurt am Main) and Spain (Barcelona, Malaga, Las Palmas, Torrevieja) can issue passports.
An identity card is a document that you can use to prove your identity in different kinds of public services. It can also be used for travel to a limited extent, and it has a chip that allows you to security log into public services.
Finnish missions may grant standard and temporary identity cards. An identity card can be granted also to minors subject to parental consent.
Finnish missions do not accept applications for a minor’s identity card not requiring parental consent or for identity cards for foreigners.
Starting on 2 August 2021, the applicant’s fingerprints are stored in the identity card.
Applying for a passport or an identity card in Tunisia
A passport application must always be submitted in person. Children of all ages are required to be present at the moment of passport application.
Passport and identity card applications are received by appointment only. Please book an appointment by email.
The fee for a passport or an identity card is paid to the embassy's local bank account before your pre-booked appointment. Detailed instructions will be sent by email. The embassy does not accept credit card or cash payments.
Applications initiated in the electronic licensing service of the police cannot be processed or supplemented by missions, and passports applied for electronically cannot be delivered abroad.