If you lose your passport abroad

  1. If your passport is lost, file a police report or notification of lost property at the local police station immediately. Several countries have special tourist police with whom you can file the report.
  2. Request your own copy of the report or investigation document. You will need it later when you apply for a new passport or file an insurance claim, or if your passport ends up in the wrong hands. The Finnish authorities do not file official reports of lost passports based on information provided over the phone.
  3. As a Finnish citizen, you can apply for a new passport at any Finish mission abroad that issues passports.
  4. If Finland does not have a diplomatic mission in the country where you are travelling, you can ask for assistance at a mission of another EU country (layout.types.url.description) (Opens New Window)to get an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) for your flight home.

What if my lost passport is found?

If your lost official documents are found later, the local authorities will generally deliver them to the Finnish mission.

Please note that once your passport has been reported to the Finnish authorities as lost or stolen, you can no longer use it.

However, the Finnish mission will send any found documents back to Finland, either to the issuing authority or to the police in the document holder’s municipality of residence.