Applying for a passport or an identity card
- The application must be submitted at the embassy in person.
- Make sure that your details are up to date in the population information system. Finnish citizens can, if they wish, check their registered data in the population information system once a year. To correct and revise the data, please contact your nearest Digital and Population Data Agency(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window).
- You have to pay the fee for a passport or an identity card when you submit the application.
- A passport and an identity card are valid for a maximum of 5 years.
- It takes from a minimum of two weeks to up to several weeks to get an ordinary passport. A fast-track passport can normally be obtained faster, but the time of delivery depends on the country of issuance. Fast-track service does not apply to identity cards.
Passports and identity cards are issued at Finland's embassies, consulates general and consulates led by a career consul. Finland's Honorary Consulates in Germany (Hamburg, Frankfurt am Main) and Spain (Barcelona, Malaga, Las Palmas, Torrevieja) can issue passports.
Finnish missions may grant standard and temporary identity cards. An identity card can be granted also to minors subject to parental consent.
Finnish missions do not accept applications for a minor’s identity card not requiring parental consent or for identity cards for foreigners.
Starting on 2 August 2021, the applicant’s fingerprints are stored in the identity card.
Please note that we do not accept cash nor credit card payments at the embassy. Bank transfer done in advance is the only payment option, please see our list of service fees for more information.