Team Finland -network in Singapore
Short Handbook by Embassy of Finland and its partners for Starting a Business in Singapore.
You can find valuable information related to business during the current crisis from the following lists we have created with other Nordics in Singapore:
- Singapore Community and Support Schemes
- Accelerators, Challenges and Grants in Southeast Asia
- The Nordic Community and Support Schemes back in the Nordics
- Advice from investors for startups and founders
We also compiled a listing of more than 100 Nordic companies providing solutions to tackle the current crisis. The first listing includes the companies providing digital apps and web based services for health, communications, training and many other needs:
Team Finland in Singapore
The Team Finland network promotes Finland and its interests abroad: the internationalisation of Finnish enterprises, investments in Finland, and the country brand. The Team Finland operating model brings together the key actors and services in these fields. The core of the network consists of the publicly funded organisations operating in these fields, such as the ministries, Finland’s network of diplomatic missions, Business Finland, national culture and science institutes, Finnvera, Finnfund, and the regional internationalisation services, built upon the ELY Centres.
The Team Finland network will help your enterprise become more international, grow, and succeed in the global market. For more information on services to companies seeking internationalisation, see: team-finland.fi/en/.
Jointly established by Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture and Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Team Finland Knowledge (TFK) network works to reinforce Finland’s reputation as a leading country in education, science and innovation. The aim is a more open, international and attractive Finland. Singapore with Southeast Asia is one of locations of the network. Team Finland Knowledge counsellors promote Finnish educational and research cooperation, networking and access to new knowledge. TFK network works to increase international mobility of students, researchers and talents and to support the exports of Finnish knowledge, expertise and educational innovation.
Finnish Business Council Singapore is a community of companies and individuals interested in fostering business between Singapore and Finland. The business council is part of the Team Finland network in Singapore.
Nordic Innovation House Singapore is a joint operation by Nordic countries. It connects Finnish and other Nordic startups and growth stage companies to Singapore and through Singapore to the SE Asia region. Embassy of Finland is part of the team that produces the joint services of the House.
Contact persons for Team Finland in Singapore
Ambassador Antti Vänskä
Embassy of Finland, Singapore
Mr Riku Mäkelä
Counsellor, Innovation and Trade Affairs
Embassy of Finland, Singapore
Mobile +65 9815 7094
Team Finland Knowledge Network
Ms Anna Korpi
Counsellor, Education and Research
Embassy of Finland, Singapore
Finnish Business Council Singapore
Ms Minna Hyväri, General Manager
Objectives of the Team Finland network in Singapore
Finnish companies are interested in the Singaporean and Asian markets as Singapore is a good gateway to whole Asia and especially to Southeast Asia.
Team Finland will concentrate on promoting business especially within health and wellness, solutions for smart cities and circular economy.
Team Finland network offers Finnish companies a working infrastructure in Singapore and Southeast Asia. The network helps emerging Finnish companies to access the market, plays a role in helping Finnish companies attract Singaporean investment and builds up the country brand through means of communication.
In Singapore, Team Finland consists of the Finnish Embassy and Finnish Business Council Singapore. Nordic Innovation House Singapore is a key partner for serving Finnish growth companies entering Singapore or expanding from Singapore to Southeast Asia.
Team Finland's services related to business opportunities between Finland and Singapore
The following are Singapore specific services active at the moment. You can find all services of Team Finland from here. Notice that you can find contact information to key stakeholders and listing of Finnish companies active in Singapore from the end of this page.
Past events can be found under this list!
Team Finland Singapore will coordinate Finnish joint efforts during and around events in Singapore and in Finland. If you are interested in participating or collaborating, please contact the local Team Finland coordinator in Singapore [email protected] The following events are currently in the pipeline:
Sorry, events for 2021 to be updated soon.
22.4. SIN: Webinar on Nordic digital solutions by UNDP, Nordic Innovation House Singapore (and Team Finland)
- You can view event materials for futher information. We continue to connect solutions to the needs identified by UNDP.
11.6. SIN: Opportunities in Punggol Digital District webinar to showcase what tech large players are looking for the developments in the smartest city district
- Kick-off for Nordic Smart City Program towards Singapore. For event materials, go here.
26.8. SIN: Smart City opportunities in Southeast Asia -- Webinar towards the Nordics with Asian Development Bank and UNDP
- To access the video and event materials below, click here.
14.-25.9. SIN: Nordic Health market entry program weeks virtually in Singapore with Nordic Innovation House
22.-24.9. SIN: Foodtech webinar series on Singapore Food Story and opportunities for business and innovation
- Organized by Innovation Norway. For more info, contact [email protected]
Sept - Oct SIN: Indoor Air Quality business webinars/meetings by Helsinki Business Hub
- Check event site for more information on the following events:
- 11.9. IPI’s Emerging Technology Forum on Indoor Air Quality
- 18.9. Finnish built environment and IAQ solutions
- 9.-30.9. in Finland: WDBE 2020 (World Digital Built Environment) – Redefining sustainability for urban environment
- 8.-9.10. matchmaking events
25.-26.9. SIN/global: Talent Boost activities and events by Finnish actors
- 14.10. Kick-off
- 27.-29.10. Circular economy
- Oct. Imaging technologies
- 3.11. 5G and 6G technologies
- 11.11. AI and data science
- 17.11. Design thinking
- Jan 2021. Women in Tech and Science
28.9.-3.10. SIN: EU Business Avenues in ICT to Singapore (ConnectTech Asia) and Thailand
- Closed for applications, sorry. More information at event site.
7.10. SIN: Foodtech opportunities in Singapore webinar
- For more information, contact [email protected]
12.-23.10 SIN: Nordic Smart Cities market entry program weeks in Singapore with Nordic Innovation House
- For more information, check the overview of the portfolio and what happened and contact [email protected]
29.10. SIN: Nordic Green event at Singapore International Energy Week SIEW
- See the event recording
2.-5.11. SIN: EU Business Avenues on construction and building tech to Singapore and Philippines (Philconstruct 2020)
Oct - Dec SIN/global: Talent Boost activities and events by Finnish actors
- the final session Future is Female
29.11.-4.12. SIN: EU Business Avenues environment and water delegation to Singapore (Water Week) and Vietnam
- Closed for applications already, sorry. More information at event site.
7.-11.12. SIN: SFFxSWITCH week: TechInnovation, Fintech Festival and many other sessions with Finnish delegates
- Tue Dec 8th 16:00 SG time the Nordic Showcase on health, smart cities and sustainability at Techinnovation: recording and materials
- Wed Dec 9th World Fintech Festival in Finland https://www.helsinkifintech.fi/event/singapore-fintech-festival-helsinki-satellite-event/
- Finnish delegation to this ‘Singapore superweek’ has been 100 – 200 people strong in the last three years. In 2020, we had less Finnish delegates with clear focus on offering fintech solutions (by participating to Singapore Fintech Festival https://www.fintechfestival.sg/) or offering potential technology transfer and innovation cooperation opportunities for potential Singaporean and Asian partners (by showcasing at Techinnovation virtual marketplace https://www.techinnovation.com.sg/).
9.12. Introduction to Nordic Innovation House Singapore services for Finnish companies
- See the event recording
8.-15.12. SIN EU Business Avenues on medical and health tech to Singapore (Medical Fair Asia 2020) and Indonesia
- Deadline to apply went already. Check the event site for more information.
Business missions to Singapore plus another ASEAN country by EU Business Avenues
EU funded EU Business Avenues mechanism is a great opportunity to meet potential customers and business partners in Singapore plus one other country in ASEAN region (separate business mission are available also to China, Japan and South Korea). Notice that these missions are for SMEs who already have revenue and are ready for potential business development in Southeast Asia.
To apply, you first create an account to EU Business Avenues web site and give your basic details. If you are qualified, more details will be asked. Selected 30-50 companies from EU benefit from consulting interviews and coaching before the mission and during the mission from match making and substantial logistical and financial support. Embassy of Finland will do its best to provide additional help for participating Finnish companies. If you have any questions, and when you get selected, contact [email protected] in Embassy of Finland in Singapore.
The calendar of all missions is available here.
EU-Singapore Foreign Trade Agreement
EU-Singapore Free Trade Agreement EUSFTA entered into force in November 2019. The implementation will take place in stages. For example, nearly all import duties on EU-Singapore trade will be removed, at the latest in 2025. To learn more details and to follow up the implementation of different areas of the agreement into practice, see here.
Market Opportunities in Singapore identified by Team Finland
Check out the reports, market opportunities and sales leads identified from Singapore. The published materials can be found from Team Finland Market Opportunities. To know more about them, please contact [email protected] in Singapore. Below you can find the most interesting reports about Singapore:
Singaporen kiinnostus kiertotaloutta kohtaan kasvaa (in Finnish)
Singaporen matka maailman huippujen joukkoon (in Finnish)
The following list includes most of the Finnish companies with local office or daughter company in Singapore:
You can search for more Finnish companies registered in Singapore from here.