Frequently asked questions

Getting married in Egypt

Marrying an Egyptian citizen

The following administrative authority officiates marriages in Cairo:


Ministry of Justice (next to the State Security Headquarters)

Fourth Floor, Lazoughli Square, CAIRO

Tel.: (02) 27953587 / (02) 27953299

In addition to the documents mentioned below, Egyptian authorities may in certain cases request additional documents or further investigations. Changes in legislation may occur without the embassy immediately being informed. The future spouse with Egyptian citizenship must therefore always check with Egyptian authorities which documents are required.

In order to marry in Egypt, a Finnish citizen must provide the officiating authority with at least the following documents:

- Proof of identity e.g. passport

- Extensive, multilingual extract from the Population Register, translated to Arabic and legalized in Finland. The extract must state the religion of the person in question.

- Certificate of investigation of impediments to marriage for marriage performed abroad, multilingual, translated to Arabic and legalized in Finland.

- Inquiry into the financial circumstances of the person, this is only required if the Finnish citizen who is getting married is male.

For additional information go to to another website.) (Opens New Window)

Documents, as well as translations, must first be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Finland and thereafter by the Embassy of Egypt in Helsinki, Itäinen puistotie 2, 00140 Helsinki, +358 9 477 7470.

For instructions, please go to this website(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window).