Visa and residence permit of a Finnish citizen's family member
In accordance with section 37 of the Aliens Act (Ulkomaalaislaki 301/2004), a Finnish citizen's foreign family members are:
- the spouse of a Finnish citizen
- a person in a registered partnership with a Finnish citizen
- an unmarried child under 18 years of age, whose guardian or the spouse of the guardian resides in Finland
- if the person residing in Finland is a minor, his or her guardian is the family member
Persons living in a marriage-like relationship and sharing the same household are comparable to a married couple regardless of their sex, provided that they have lived together for at least two years. The two-year requirement does not apply if the persons have a child in their joint custody or if there are other weighty reasons.
Residence permit application by a family member who is a visa national
If you are a family member of a Finnish citizen and you intend to travel to Finland for a period of time exceeding three months, please follow the instructions in paragraph 1 or 2:.
- Apply for a residence permit at a Finnish mission either in your home country or in the country of departure where you have a legal residence well in advance. The residence permit application must be submitted in person. Read more about the application of a residence permit at the Finnish Immigration Service(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window) website.
Residence permit application by a family member who is exempt from the visa requirement
If you do not need a visa to Finland, you can stay in the country for a maximum of 90 days.
If you are a Finnish citizen's family member and you intend to travel to Finland for a longer stay than three months, you can apply for a residence permit in advance at a Finnish mission.
You can submit a residence permit application at the Finnish Immigration Service(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window), too.
Changes concerning residence permit applications at the Residence Permit Application Centre in Ankara
From 1 September 2019, an application for a residence permit in Finland can be submitted as a paper application in Turkey, or online via the e-service Enter Finland of the Finnish Immigration Service. In both procedures, the applicant must complete the application before visiting the Residence Permit Application Centre and ensure that all the appendices required for the application are complete. Biometric data will be taken from all applicants at the time of submission. An appointment is mandatory.
Residence Permit Application Centre in Ankara
Address: Kabil Cd No:67, 06460 Çankaya/Ankara
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +90 212 373 58 23
www: residencepermits.finland.fi (Link to another website.)