Registration of Marriage in the Population Information System

If you are a Finnish citizen and you get married abroad, you must notify the marriage to the Finnish Population System.

Ask the person conducting the marriage, what documents are needed when the ceremony is performed before a foreign public authority. A Finnish certificate of no impediment can be ordered in multiple languages from the Digital and Population Data Agency in your municipality of residence. Documents that are used abroad, must be legalised.

Some priests working among expatriate Finns, who are employed by Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland, have the right to conduct marriages abroad. For further information, visit the website.

You cannot get married at an embassy of Finland.

Notify the marriage to the Digital and Population Data Agency

When a Finnish citizen gets married outside Finland it must be notified to the Local Register Office. You can also leave the notification at a Finnish embassy or send it there to be posted to the Digital and Population Data Agency.

The original marriage certificate or a copy of it, authenticated at the mission of Finland, must be appended to the notification. The document must be legalised and if it has been issued in some other language than Finnish, Swedish or English, an authorised translation in one of these languages must be provided. Translations made abroad must be legalised. Translations made by an authorised translator in Finland are valid as such.

An Apostille stamp is not required for a marriage certificate, which is issued by an EU country authority and a translation of the certificate is not needed if a multilingual standard form is appended to the document.

Notification of marriage of a Finnish citizen outside Finland (pdf to be filled in on the screen)


Prenuptial procedure (instructions to Indonesian/foreign citizens)

A certificate of non-impediment to be obtained from your local city registrar/head of village. Should this be only in Bahasa Indonesia, it is to be translated into English, by a sworn translator.

A mutual promise of the engagement/marriage between intended spouses (forms can be obtained from the Embassy or from the Local Register Offices website). The form is to be signed to enable your future husband/wife to get his/her non-impediment certificate from a Finnish authority. The non-impediment certificate that a Finnish authority (population register) issues includes personal details of the future spouse as well.

Should the marriage take place in Indonesia, the non-impediment certificate that a Finnish authority (population register) issues, will have to be legalized at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and the Embassy of Indonesia in Helsinki. The Embassy of Finland can not issue marriage authorization letters for Indonesian authorities.

Once the marriage certificate has been issued, it should be translated into English in case the original is only in Bahasa Indonesia. This is needed to register the marriage in Finland.

To register the marriage in Väestörekisterikeskus (Population Register Centre) in Finland, all relevant foreign documents have to be legalized, first at the Indonesian Ministry of Justice (Legalization Dept) and then at the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Clearance & Legalization Dept) and finally at the Embassy of Finland in Jakarta.