General conscription

If you are a male Finnish citizen and live abroad, you are subject to the conscription call-up starting from the beginning of the year in which you turn 18 years. You can handle your call-up obligation matters through the mission of Finland in your country of residence.

Although you are subject to conscription, you may be exempt from the call-up or military service if you have dual citizenship and have not resided in Finland for past seven years.

Photo: Finnish Defence Forces

Photo: Finnish Defence Forces

In case you have multiple nationalities, you may be subject to conscription in accordance with your other home country legislation even if you had performed your military service in Finland. For example, if you are a citizen of Russia, in military service matters you must contact the Embassy of Russia in Helsinki.

For those who have not performed military or non-military service, a passport is granted to no later than until the end of the year when they turn 28.

Deferment can be granted upon application or, in special cases, you may be exempted from general conscription service altogether. Women can volunteer for volunteer military service. For reasons of serious conviction, you may be ordered to unarmed or non-military service

The Regional Offices of the Defence Forces help and serve persons subject to general conscription. If you reside abroad, your Regional Office is your municipality in the population register.

For additional information, please visit the Defence Forces website.