Registration of birth in the Population Register System

A Finnish citizen's birth must be registered in the Population Register System. You must therefore send the child's original birth certificate, legalised in the country of residence, to the Local Register Office or to the Finnish mission nearest to you.

Births of Finnish citizens outside Finland must be notified to the Local Register Office. You can also submit the notification at a Finnish embassy or send it there to be posted to the Local Register Office for registration.

The original birth certificate or a copy of it, authenticated at a mission of Finland, must be appended to the notification. The document must be legalised and, if it has been issued in some other language than Finnish, Swedish or English, an authorised translation in one of these languages must be provided. Translations made abroad must be legalised. Translations made by an authorised translator in Finland are valid as such.

A child is a Finnish citizen if, at the time when the child was born,

  • the mother was a Finnish citizen or
  • the father was a Finnish citizen, the mother was a foreign national and the parents were married.

A child born outside marriage

If a child was born outside marriage and the father was a Finnish citizen when the child was born, a declaration of acknowledgement of paternity is required. An application to obtain a Finnish citizenship for the child can be filed after that by means of declaration (this applies to children born after 1 June 2003 only).

You can submit a citizenship declaration at  the Finnish Immmigration Service in Finland or at a Finnish mission or honorary consulate abroad. You can initiate the process only if you have custody of the child or if you are the child's legal guardian. Submit the declaration in person. Both the child and either the parent who has the custody of the child or the child’s guardian must be present when the declaration is submitted