Job opening: Advisor for Trade and Economic Affairs, Embassy of Finland in Washington D.C.
Would you like to work for the happiest country in the world? Finland is a great example of the Nordic model where open, competitive markets meet structures aiming to give everyone a chance to succeed in life.
The Embassy of Finland is now looking for an Advisor for Trade and Economic Affairs. If you are a team player with a keen interest in the future well-being of our planet through the lenses of technology, climate change, economy, and trade, this is an opportunity for you.
We are looking for someone with:
- hands-on experience on how the U.S. Administration and Congress work
- educational background in international relations, trade, tech, or economics
- strong skills in both teamwork and working independently
- keen interest in Finland and further strengthening the U.S.–Finland ties
- understanding that trade promotes well-being on both sides
- salary in the range of +/- 60,000 USD annually, depending on qualifications
- excellent pension scheme, 20 days paid annual vacation, health insurance, other benefits
- initial one year contract, with an option to extend
In the Embassy, you will work as a part of the small and agile Trade and Economic Affairs team. Read more about the Embassy of Finland via this link: Responsibilities of the Embassy
Your responsibilities will include:
- Following and acting on several aspects of U.S. technology policy
- Following U.S. energy policy
- Identifying policy level cooperation possibilities in circular economy, cleantech, clean energy, bio-economy
- Following relevant legislative proposals in the Congress and Administration
- Promoting Finland’s views, know-how, ideas, and opportunities for cooperation through events and other means
- Promoting the concept of circular economy
- Participating in Team Finland work for promoting Finnish–American joint business interests
As this is a new position, the job description can be further developed based on the qualifications and interests of the successful applicant. The tentative starting date is May 4.
The deadline for applications is February 29. You can apply by sending your cover letter and resume to kirsi-marja.siven ( at ) formin.fi. The subject of the email should be:
Application: Advisor for Trade and Economic Affairs
The Embassy will carry out a security clearance with the candidate’s approval before making the final decision to recruit the candidate.
On the substance of the position (Feb 10-14, Feb 25-28): Mr. Antti Niemelä, Head of Trade and Economic Affairs, antti.niemela ( at ) formin.fi
On conditions & benefits of the employment ( Feb 10-17, Feb 24-28): Ms. Kirsi-Marja Sivén, Head of Administration, kirsi-marja.siven ( at ) formin.fi
The Embassy of Finland in Washington, D.C., is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, marital, veteran, or disability status.
In the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, we will process your personal data you provide us due diligence, and in accordance with EU data protection legislation. We will not disclose your personal data to third parties without a lawful reason. You can read more about our data protection practice here: Data Protection. By applying for this job, I accept the terms of data protection practice, and I give my consent to the processing of my personal data.