How to apply for a visa?

If your country of destination is Finland, apply for a visa from the nearest Finnish mission or the visa centre that the mission advises to you. Honorary consuls and consulates cannot grant visas.

It has been agreed with some countries that Finland may be represented by another Schengen state. In such cases, apply for a visa to Finland from the mission of that Schengen state.(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window)

Submit your visa application at the visa application centre(Link to another website.) in person. An application cannot be sent by e-mail or telefax.

Visa application

You can submit a visa application no earlier than three months ahead of your planned visit to Finland. Processing of applications takes 15 calendar days. The processing period may be extended up to 30 days, if necessary. The Embassy of Finland cannot provide any interim information on ongoing visa applications.

Granting a visa is subject to the condition that the person in question leaves the Schengen area before the visa expires. This is why a visa cannot be granted to anyone who intends to enter Finland in order to apply for a residence permit or wait for a decision on a residence permit. This also applies to family members of Finnish citizens.

Visa fee

The visa fee is payable in Thai bahts at the exchange rate valid at the moment of payment.

  • At the VFS Visa Application Centre: The visa fee and the VFS service fee must be paid in cash when submitting your application. At the same time, you can pay for any additional services, such as home delivery of the processed passport.

  • At the Embassy of Finland: As you submit your visa application, you will receive a payment slip. You can then settle the visa fee either at a bank or at the Embassy with local and international payment cards. The up-to-date visa handling fees charged by the Embassy can be found in its list of service fees (Opens New Window).

The visa fee is waived for visa applicants belonging to one of the following categories:

  • children under six years

  • school pupils, students, post-graduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake stays for the purpose of study or educational training (the right to a visa without charge is determined when submitting the application)

  • researchers travelling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research (the right to a visa without charge is determined when submitting the application)

  • family members of a citizen of Finland/the EU/the EEA/Switzerland.

Required attachments to visa applications

Visit to relatives and friends (Opens New Window)

pdf, 126 kB

Tourist (Opens New Window)

pdf, 99 kB

Business (Opens New Window)

pdf, 95 kB

Family members of a citizen of Finland (Opens New Window)

Under the Finnish Aliens Act, the following persons are regarded as family members of a Finnish citizen:

  • spouse of a person residing in Finland
  • partner with whom the Finnish citizen has contracted a registered partnership
  • unmarried child under 18 years of age whose guardian is a person residing in Finland
  • if the person resident in Finland is a minor child, the family member is his or her guardian
  • persons living continuously in a marriage-like relationship within the same household regardless of their sex are comparable to a married couple. The requirement for this comparison is that they can be proved to have lived together for at least two years. This is not required if the persons have a child in their joint custody or if there is some other weighty reason (Aliens Act, Section 37). Cohabitation must be proved.

pdf, 109 kB

Family members of a citizen of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland (Opens New Window)   

The following foreign nationals are regarded as family members of an EU citizen:

  • spouse
  • partner with whom the EU citizen has contracted a registered partnership
  • direct descendants of the EU citizen, who are under the age of 21 or depend on him/her, as well as similar descendants of the partner as defined above
  • the EU citizen’s dependant direct relatives in the ascending line and those of his/her spouse or partner as defined above.


pdf, 122 kB

Studies, culture, sports (Opens New Window)

pdf, 101 kB

Travel insurance

You will have to present a travel medical insurance, covering the entire duration of the trip to Schengen area. The minimum insurance coverage is EUR 30,000, non-deductible and covering the emergency medical expenses, hospital treatment, repatriation for medical reasons or death. The Embassy accepts travel insurances granted by European insurance companies as well as the local insurance companies featuring on the list endorsed by the diplomatic missions of Schengen countries in Bangkok.

List of insurance companies accepted by diplomatic missions of Schengen countries in Bangkok (Opens New Window)

Multiple-entry visa

If you have already scheduled several trips to Finland and the Schengen area, you may apply for multiple-entry visa. Please note the following requirements:

  • Your travel insurance must be valid, as a minimum, for the duration of your first trip. The travel insurance stipulation applies to each trip.

  • The need for a multiple-entry visa must be justified in the visa application and in the invitation letter.

A visa for Estonia

In Thailand, Estonia is represented by Finland in Schengen visa affairs. If you intend to travel to Estonia, you can apply for a visa at the Finland Visa Application Centre in Bangkok. The document requirements are the same as for persons travelling to Finland.

Negative visa decision

A negative decision on a visa application is given by the Embassy of Finland in writing on the standard form specified in the Visa Code of the EU. Under Finnish law, diplomatic missions or the Ministry for Foreign Affairs have no obligation to justify a negative visa decision to the applicant in any greater detail. In accordance with Section 17 of Finland’s Aliens Act, Regulation No 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council (Visa Code) (Link to another website.) (Opens New Window)– and not the Finnish Administrative Procedure Act – shall be applied to the grounds for visa decisions.

The recipient of a decision made by a Finnish mission to refuse, to annul or to revoke a visa (otherwise than at the request of the visa holder) may request rectification of the decision from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs. You can find instructions and more information under Requesting review of a visa decision.

The Embassy may only give information on a visa application and the related decision to the applicant. If the applicant issues a written authorization to the private host or another person, this representative can be given the same information as the applicant. A power of attorney is a free-form document which must indicate the names of the applicant and the person receiving the written authorization, and it must be signed by the applicant.