Residence permits to Finland
If you want to stay in Finland for a longer period than three months, you need a residence permit. Please note! You need to e-mail us to make an appointment. You can not book an appointment in our online system (that is only for the Finnish passport customers and other consular matters). Nationals of an EU member state, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland do not need a residence permit to come to Finland.
Submit your application online(Linkki toiselle web-sivustolle.) (avautuu uuteen ikkunaan). Book an appointment at the Embassy of Finland in Oslo by e-mail: [email protected]
NB: You must remember to cancel your appointment by mail if you find out that you no longer need your appointment.
How to apply for a residence permit
1. You can apply for a residence permit in Finland if you have a job, a study place or a family member in Finland. Apply for a residence permit before you go to Finland.
2. Apply for a residence permit electronically at migri.fi(Linkki toiselle web-sivustolle.) (avautuu uuteen ikkunaan)
3. Choose the correct application form based on why you are going to Finland (job, study place or family member in Finland).
4. Fill in the residence permit application carefully. Make sure that the appendices are correct.
5. Submit your application online. You have to click the “submit” button on the application.
6. Book an appointment at the Embassy of Finland in Oslo by e-mail: [email protected]
On the e-mail:
- state your name
- if your family is applying at the same time with you, please also their names
Please note! You can NOT book an appointment in our online booking system, that is only for the Finnish passport customers and other consular matters. You NEED to e-mail us.
7. Go to the Embassy of Finland in Oslo, identify yourself with your passport.
Bring with you:
- your passport
- a passport picture (Linkki toiselle web-sivustolle.) (avautuu uuteen ikkunaan)
- your residence permit card to Norway
- all the original documents you have attached to the application.
8. After your appointment, your application will be transferred to the processing queue at the Finnish Immigration Service
9. You can follow the progress of the processing online. You may be asked for further information.
10. Processing the application takes time. Please be patient. Waiting times are usually long, but each application will be processed.
11. You will be notified once a decision has been made.
12. If you receive a positive decision, the residence permit card will be delivered to the mission. A negative decision means that is was considered that you do not have sufficient grounds for a residence permit.
13. You can get further information about applying for a residence permit at the Finnish Immigration Service website migri.fi(Linkki toiselle web-sivustolle.) (avautuu uuteen ikkunaan)