Finland joins NATO on 4 April
Finland will join NATO on Tuesday 4 April. We collected the daily events and links to live webcasts from Brussels.
On 4 April, Minister for Foreign Affairs Pekka Haavisto will deposit Finland's instrument of accession to the North Atlantic Treaty. Minister Haavisto will deposit the instrument of accession in Brussels with the Government of the United States. Finland will become a NATO member country at the moment of the deposit.
After the deposit, NATO Headquarters and NATO's military headquarters will honour Finland's membership by raising the Finnish flag. Finland’s representatives attending the flag-raising ceremony are President of the Republic Sauli Niinistö, Minister for Foreign Affairs Pekka Haavisto and Minister of Defence Antti Kaikkonen.
Schedule (Finnish time) and links to live streams
The events can be followed live via Nato live stream(Link to another website.) and Yle Areena(Link to another website.).
- Signing of Finland's instrument of accession at Finland’s Mission to Nato (no live stream available)
- Deposit of Finland's instrument of accession to the Government of the United States (no live stream available)
- 16.00 Brief press point by the NATO Secretary General and the President of Finland (live stream on Yle Areena)
- 16.35 Ceremony for Finland's accession to NATO (Nato live stream)(Link to another website.)
- 17.15 Press conference by President Sauli Niinistö for Finnish media (live stream on Yle Areena)
- 19.45 Press conference by the NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg (Nato live stream)(Link to another website.)
- Press conference by Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto for international and Finnish media (live stream on Yle Areena)