Foreign Minister Valtonen to participate in informal meeting of EU foreign ministers in Brussels
The EU Foreign Ministers will convene for an informal Gymnich meeting in Brussels on 2–3 February. The Ministers will discuss the relations between the EU and Africa and EU-Türkiye relations. Minister for Foreign Affairs Elina Valtonen will represent Finland at the meeting.
The Ministers will discuss the development of relations between the EU and Africa. The increasingly tense geopolitical situation has increased the need for dialogue, cooperation and a more equal partnership between the EU and African countries.
“The EU should strengthen its role in Africa in the current global situation. We must seek to remove barriers to trade between the EU and African countries and promote economic cooperation on a more equal basis,” Minister Valtonen says.
The other theme of the meeting will be EU-Türkiye relations and closer cooperation in areas where common interests are shared, including trade, security and migration.
“Finland supports the development and intensification of cooperation between the EU and Türkiye in a way that takes into account Türkiye’s strategic and economic importance and significant regional role. This takes place without compromising our values, and we will continue to keep a close eye on the state of democracy, the rule of law, fundamental rights and the judiciary in Türkiye,” Minister Valtonen says.
Before the Gymnich meeting, Minister Valtonen will attend the EU Indo-Pacific Ministerial Forum and the EU-ASEAN ministerial meeting in Brussels. The aim of the meetings is to enhance cooperation between the EU and the countries of the Indo-Pacific region, including cooperation between the EU and ASEAN. In connection with the meetings, Foreign Minister Valtonen will have bilateral talks with the region’s representatives.
- Laila Clyne, Diplomatic Adviser to the Minister for Foreign Affairs, tel. +358 295 350 492
- Lauri Hirvonen, European Correspondent, Unit for European Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP), tel. +358 295 350 063
- Indo-Pacific Forum: Ari Heikkinen, Senior Adviser, Unit for East and Southeast Asia and Oceania, tel. +358 295 351 390
- EU-ASEAN ministerial meeting: Helena Vuokko, Team Leader, Unit for East and Southeast Asia and Oceania, tel. +358 295 350131
- The email addresses of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs are in the format [email protected]