Working group proposes three solutions for reforming Team Finland network
A working group of public officials from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment examined ways to reform the Team Finland export promotion network. The working group’s report was published on 6 February 2024.
As outlined in the Programme of Prime Minister Petteri Orpo’s Government, the management and operations of Team Finland, the export promotion network of public sector bodies, need to be reformed. This will be undertaken in cooperation with business and industry. The reform is based on the Government Programme’s policy outline on strengthening the Foreign Ministry’s role in the public activities to promote exports and internationalisation. This includes a study on incorporating Business Finland’s activities abroad into Finland’s network of diplomatic and consular missions.
In its report(Link to another website.), the working group examining the reform concludes that a key shortcoming in Finland's export promotion system is fragmented management, especially the management of the network abroad, which is dispersed across two different organisations.
The report(Link to another website.) proposes three solutions to simplify and enhance the management and export promotion activities of the Team Finland network.
- Reforming the management structure of the Team Finland network in Finland
- Reforming the management structure of the Team Finland network in Finland and strengthening the Foreign Ministry's guiding role in the network abroad
- Incorporating Business Finland’s activities abroad into the Foreign Service
The report(Link to another website.) includes a preliminary assessment of the implementation of these solutions, as they will require changes to legislation and management structures. After the publication of the report, the reform of export promotion will move forward to political decision-making. The next steps will be decided by Ministers Ville Tavio and Wille Rydman.
- Report on the reform of the operations and management of the Team Finland network(Link to another website.)
- Jarno Syrjälä, Under-Secretary of State, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, tel. +358 295 350 205
- Maija Lönnqvist, Director-General, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, tel. +358 295 047 105
- Email addresses are in the format [email protected]