Registration of a civil partnership in the Population Information System

If you are a Finnish citizen and you register your civil partnership abroad, notify the matter to the Population Register System in Finland.

Finnish citizens' civil partnership registrations outside Finland  must be notified to the Local Register Office. You can also submit the notification at a Finnish embassy or send it there to be posted to the Local Register Office for registration.

The original civil partnership certificate or a copy of it, authenticated at a mission of Finland, must be appended to the notification. The document must be legalised and, if it has been issued in some other language than Finnish, Swedish or English, an authorised translation in one of these languages must be provided. Translations made abroad must be legalised. Translations made by an authorised translator in Finland are valid as such.

Notification of Civil Partnership in Canada

In Canada, you can leave or send the notification to the Embassy in Ottawa or the Honorary Consulate in Toronto or Vancouver. 

In addition to the completed notification form, you need to attach the following documents:

  • Authenticated copy of registration certificate issued by the appropriate provincial authority.
    More information: Global Affairs Canada - Authentication of documents
  • Copies of the passports of both partners (the pages with personal information)
  • Copy of the Permanent Resident Card or the Canadian visa in the passport of the Finnish citizen/s or photocopy of the Finnish citizenship decision (in case of multiple nationality)

NOTE! If both partners are Finnish citizens, both have to fill out their own marriage notification form.