How to apply for a visa?
Submit your visa application at a mission or visa centre in person. An application cannot be sent by e-mail or telefax.
Visa application form
- Viisumihakemus - Ansökan om visering (suomi, på svenska)
- Application for Schengen Visa (English)
- Demande de visa Schengen (Français)
- Solicitud de visado Schengen (Español)
- Анкета-заявление / Schengen Visa (По-русски)
To apply for a visa you need the following
General requirements irrespective of the purpose of travel
- duly completed and signed application form
- a recent passport photo - see the passport photo requirement via the Finnish Police website(layout.types.url.description)
- passport - The passport must be valid at least three (3) months after your planned trip ends and it must have been granted during the last ten (10) years.
- proof of residence
- proof of visa status - VEVO (Visa Entitlement Verification Online(layout.types.url.description) (Opens New Window)); This should be sent to [email protected] via email directly through the VEVO service
- reservation of return or round ticket, including confirmation of the booking of an organised trip including a detailed itinerary. In the case of transit: visa or other entry permit for the third country of destination; tickets for onward journey
Valid travel insurance for the whole period of travel in the Schengen area. The insurance indemnity should be at least EUR 30,000 and should insure the person in case of sudden illness or accident (including travel home) and include transportation home in the event of death. List of adequate insurance policy providers.
- proof of financial means in the country of residence (including recent bank statements showing movement of means over a certain period (minimum last three months)
- proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation (such as invitation from host). Some Member States may require that proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation is provided by means of a specific form
- if married or in a partnership, provide a marriage certificate or registered partnership agreement
Documents to be submitted by applicants depending on the purpose of travel
a) Tourism or visiting family/friends
- A document from the establishment providing the accommodation or any other appropriate document indicating the accommodation envisaged
b) Business, conference, cultural, religious or political event
- Official invitation letter from a firm, host organisation, educational establishment or an authority to attend meetings, conferences or events, containing detailed information concerning:
- address and contacts of the inviting entity
- name and position of the countersigning person
- purpose and duration of stay
- person or entity who will bear the travel and living costs (if applicable)
- Documents proving the applicants employment status in the company (for example, contract, proof of social security contribution)
c) Medical treatment
- a certificate from a medical doctor and/or a medical institution advising that the treatment is necessary
- an official document from the receiving medical institution confirming that it can perform the specific medical treatment, an estimation of costs and an indication that the patient will be accepted accordingly
- proof of prepayment or sufficient financial means to pay for the medical treatment and related expenses
- Parental consent for children aged 0-17 years of age
A minor child is required to have a birth certificate and parents' consent if the child travels without parental or only with another parent.
The mission may also ask the applicant for another personal interview to determine the purpose of the trip.
The applicant must have proof of sufficient financial means to cover the duration and purpose of the stay and the cost of living in the country. In Finland a minimum of EUR 30 a day is required.
Processing time of the application
Submit your visa application at a mission of Finland or a visa centre no later than 15 days before travel. The application can be submitted at the earliest six months before the intended visit. In case Finland is represented in the country by another Schengen state, the processing time is usually longer.